Wednesday, October 21, 2009

College Fair Reflections 10/21/2009

Before entering the college fair, I had a grand misconception to which college I should attend. From my adolescent days, I always pictured myself in one the nation’s top tier colleges, studying a career that would influence all of the human population. I was mainly interested in Boston College, which was one of the top 100 colleges in America. But once I entered the college fair, I was enlightened. I realized that my undergraduate school does not have to be the most prestigious or even most popular. Though, told by my parents and peers, I have the grades to get into a top notch college, the college representatives present at the college fair demonstrated that smaller schools usually have a specialty curriculum; Meaning that the school is mainly known for certain majors and programs. Since I have a bloodline of scientist in my family, I am naturally attracted to the sciences. I hope to eventually go off and become any kind of doctor. The college fair demonstrated a couple of schools that had an excellent pre-medical program, for example a college I am now strongly considering is Quinnipiac University, which is known to be the statistical college of America, has one of the strongest medical programs in America. Because of the college fair my mind is more open and I feel that my college selection process has been alleviated tremendously.
-- Roman


The college fair was altogether fun and educational. Since last year, at the last college fair, I knew exactly which college I wanted to apply and attend to. It fit to exactly what I want to do in life and it is also accelerated. I do not plan to take an accelerated course because I wouldn’t want to be in school for a long amount of time, but because of the career I chose, the sooner the better means the sooner I can get out there and help people. However, no matter how much I would like to be accepted into this school, I need to keep the reality of the fact that just in case I cannot be in this school I need to have a back up; that was the whole point of me going back to the college fair. Even though other schools might not have the same the same program that Sophie Davis does, it would be okay to take the extra tests and years to achieve my goal.
-Amanda

The college fair was a huge success. I had a lot of fun walking around and speaking to college advocates whom were representing colleges I had never heard of before. Felicean, for example, sounds like a really good college that caters to my interests. Before attending the fair, I had my mind made up on a dream that may not be realistic for several reasons. After attending the fair, I realized that I have so many options and that as an undergraduate; I don’t have to attend the most prestigious college. I really like the concept of going to college as well. I loved the college fair. Everyone was really nice and professional, and it made me more aware of the varied choices I have and the moves I can make as a junior. Bye now, I’m going to look at my brochures :)
-Frances


Today I went to the college fair with my mother, grandmother, and sister. I brought a pad and a pen and I was ready to commence the search. My top five favorites were Stony Brook, Maine, Hofstra, Ithaca, and Geneseo. They all seem possible for me to get into, it’s all a matter of my keeping my grades up and doing well on these SATs. I am looking forward to looking deeper into these colleges and the others of my choice, by not only looking through these pamphlets, but also by doing my own research online. I want to make this college admissions process as quick and painless as possible. –Matthew


Today the gym was luminously filled up with the hustle and bustle of students eager to ask questions and concerns about their potential future colleges. Personally I only visited a few colleges. Those included UMass Amherst, Standford, Ithaca, and Mount St. Vincent. I asked several of the same questions but always began with the same initiating. The first thing I said to each college table was “Tell me about your school and what is has to offer.” That alone gave me so much information.
The school that really stood out to me even though I don’t want to admit it was the College of Mount St. Vincent. My main concern was my major, which is going to most likely be in biology/chemistry since I want to pursue something in the medical field. CMSV offered all of that and what most caught my eye was its extensive nursing program. Knowing prior knowledge since my sister attends CMSV and is a part of the nursing program, I know how hard and competitive it is firsthand. The representative told me everything I needed to know and also gave me information about the Cory Aquino scholarship that gives the top two Filipinos applying FULL SCHOLARSHIP. So I better start working even harder than I am now because I can see myself as one of the two. –Rey

Last year in the summer time, I bought The Best 368 Colleges. Throughout the summer I read some of the reviews of the colleges I was most interested in. This included some of the Ivy League schools as well as other private and state schools. I read the review for the University of Pennsylvania as well as Colombia and really enjoyed what it had to say. I visited the campus of U-Penn and enjoyed it very much along with the campus of Colombia. Friends of my parents and family members who attended these colleges also had nothing but good things to say. Both universities have great libraries, great off campus food and diverse student types on campus. All of these qualities are extremely important in my opinion when deciding which colleges to go to.-Melissa L.

I was very happy to see Vanderbilt University there again. Last year I met them at the college fair and learned all about the school. I had never heard about it before but became very interested, and it is currently one of my top schools I would like to go to. Seeing Vanderbilt here again this year made me feel comfortable that they know the name of our school and have a connection with it. I also looked at a few other schools which were pretty interesting. The college fair had more positives than negatives, which was satisfying for me. -Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment